FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Fast-hit ideas/notes across the New England Patriots and NFL:
1. Mac’s fashions: Simply because the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Tom Brady has leaned closely on private quarterback coaches Tom Martinez and Tom Home over his profession, Patriots first-round draft decide Mac Jones has accomplished the identical.
Joe Dickinson, who first began teaching as a graduate assistant within the Eighties below Barry Switzer at Oklahoma, has been with Jones since an initial meeting on the DeBartolo Sports activities Camp in Jacksonville, Florida, when Jones was 11.
The 2 talk day by day, corresponding to Saturday when Dickinson’s cellphone buzzed with a textual content at 5:50 a.m. It was Jones.
“He mentioned, ‘Hey, Coach, are you able to go to work?'” Dickinson informed ESPN.com in a cellphone interview.
Dickinson mentioned the early-morning textual content displays Jones’ relentless work ethic and fervour for the sport. As Jones takes the early steps of hoping to change into the Patriots’ succession plan to Brady, Dickinson identified that Jones has lengthy studied Brady’s recreation.
“Tom Brady is a large idol to him, since he was a younger man,” mentioned the 64-year-old Dickinson. “I had a buddy of mine from the NFL who would get me New England movie, and we checked out that quite a bit, as a result of he was a grasp of going to the correct man. He loves Brady, as a result of he’ll reduce your coronary heart out with a uninteresting spoon.”
For Patriots followers turning into extra acquainted with the 6-foot-2, 217-pound Jones, and what he hopes to change into, the quarterbacks he watches closest with Dickinson present an introductory information.
“He studied Tom Brady probably the most. Then Drew [Brees], as a result of Mac is aware of his personal capabilities. Drew won’t have the most important gun within the struggle, so he has to have quick eyes. Whereas Mac has quite a bit stronger arm than individuals assume he does, and he is extra athletic than individuals assume he’s, he is an enormous pupil of the sport and he has the quickest eyes.”
Jones hasn’t restricted himself to only Brady and Brees, mixing in others corresponding to Inexperienced Bay’s Aaron Rodgers and Kansas Metropolis’s Patrick Mahomes with a objective of “attempting to study from the perfect.”
As Dickinson was relaying that data, he began to snigger. His cellphone was buzzing once more with a textual content message from Jones. He wasn’t shocked.
Jones informed him he’d be again in Birmingham, Alabama, at 1:15 p.m., and wished to finalize the main points for a one-on-one throwing session with him. After two days of draft pleasure and hype — from Cleveland to New England to Alabama — it was time for Jones to get again to work.
2. QB economics: Jones’ contract with the Patriots shall be 4 years, $15.58 million, absolutely assured, and embrace an $8.6 million signing bonus. The deal, like all first-round picks, will embrace a fifth-year possibility. That is an awesome contract for the Patriots — assuming Jones pans out. Had Jones gone to the 49ers at No. 3, he would have signed a four-year, $34.105 million deal that was absolutely assured.
Take a look at the perfect highlights from Alabama DT Christian Barmore’s school profession.
3. Intel on Day 2 picks: A short reach-out to some scouts/personnel males on the Patriots’ Day 2 picks — Alabama’s defensive sort out Christian Barmore (second spherical, No. 38) and Oklahoma’s exterior linebacker Ronnie Perkins (third spherical, No. 96) — confirmed the preliminary impression that each weren’t anticipated to be obtainable at these picks based mostly on pure expertise alone. So each appeared to be a case of how groups stability expertise with the very fact these are younger males who’re nonetheless maturing. Barmore had a difficult coaching camp, posted on social media that he wished out of Alabama, and had deleted Alabama references from his accounts earlier than enjoying his finest soccer late within the season. And Perkins reportedly failed a drug check that led to a suspension, limiting him to 6 video games. They each get a contemporary begin in New England, the place their expertise is much less of a query than how they adapt maturity/culture-wise.
4. Mills as QB2?: The Patriots clearly felt good about Jones falling to them at No. 15, however as ordinary, they have been ready for a number of eventualities, having spent appreciable time and sources on the second tier of quarterbacks. Who might need been their goal? The Texans’ choice of Stanford’s Davis Mills early within the third spherical (No. 67) is the strongest proof to me that he was the Patriots’ Plan B, as first-year Texans common supervisor Nick Caserio grew up within the New England system.
5. Windy welcome: When Jones arrived on the town Friday and took half within the conventional photograph shoot for a first-round draft decide with homeowners Robert and Jonathan Kraft, there have been wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph. At one level as he stood on the stage on the 50-yard line, answering questions from reporters, the Jacksonville native stopped and mentioned, “I will need to get used to this.” He mentioned it reminded him of the windy days when he would deliver his soccer to the seaside and throw there.
— New England Patriots (@Patriots) April 30, 2021
6. Mac’s timetable: When coach Invoice Belichick did not await a query from a reporter after the primary spherical and as a substitute decisively declared Cam Newton is the group’s quarterback till additional discover, some might need seen him as being cussed and fiercely loyal to Newton. The view right here is totally different, nevertheless. Everybody is aware of the Patriots chosen Jones to be their quarterback of the long run, so the query is extra “when” than “if” he is handed the reins to indicate what he can do. However a foundational precept of the Patriots’ program is exhibiting the kind of dedication, work ethic and management to earn the respect of teammates and coaches, and there is a course of that also has to unfold over time. Nobody is handed something till it does.
7. Bam(a), Bam(a): The Patriots chosen back-to-back Alabama gamers with their first two picks within the 2021 draft (Jones and Barmore), after which back-to-back Oklahoma gamers after that (Perkins and operating again Rhamondre Stevenson), which is the kind of double dip at one college that has been commonplace below Belichick. It marked the sixth and seventh occasions, respectively, below Belichick that the Patriots have gone back-to-back on the identical college: Rohan Davey/Jarvis Inexperienced (2002, LSU), Jermaine Cunningham/Brandon Spikes (2010, Florida), Logan Ryan/Duron Harmon (2013/Rutgers), Joe Thuney/Jacoby Brissett (2016/NC State) and Isaiah Wynn/Sony Michel (2018/Georgia). Just one group has accomplished what the Patriots did this yr (first two picks from one college, subsequent two picks from one other college): the 1992 Los Angeles Rams, with Pittsburgh’s Sean Gilbert and Steve Israel, after which LSU’s Marc Boutte and Todd Kinchen.
8. Wynn’s possibility: Monday marks the deadline for the Patriots to decide on the fifth-year choices for 2018 first-round picks Wynn and Michel, with the group taking it right down to the wire. Doing so for Wynn, the beginning left sort out, would absolutely assure him $10.4 million in 2022. If the Patriots had chosen an offensive sort out within the first three rounds of the draft, it might need swayed the choice. However since they did not, the secure play can be to select it up, despite the fact that Wynn’s availability hasn’t been perfect due to accidents. For Michel, the No. 2 operating again, it will be $4.5 million — which doubtless shall be too wealthy for the group’s liking.
9. BB salutes Adams: Belichick known as soccer analysis director Ernie Adams’ impression on the Patriots’ group “historic” on Saturday night time, tipping his cap to him whereas saying Adams had concluded his ultimate draft with the franchise. Adams and Belichick met at Phillips Andover Academy, with Adams first becoming a member of the Patriots in 1975 as an administrative assistant and assistant offensive coach below Chuck Fairbanks. Belichick famous that issues the Patriots do now hint again to these years with Fairbanks and personnel czar Bucko Kilroy, crediting Adams for “being a part of the method and the best way he set it up and taught it to all of the individuals who have come via right here — from Scott [Pioli] and Nick [Caserio], to all of the scouts.” ESPN’s Wright Thompson beforehand wrote about Adams as a secret to the Patriots’ success, and now Matt Patricia appears to be moving into a minimum of a part of that position.
10. Did You Know: When the Patriots chosen Jones at No. 15, it marked the second time within the widespread draft period (since 1967) that 5 quarterbacks have been chosen throughout the high 15. The opposite yr was 1999 — Tim Sofa (1), Donovan McNabb (2), Akili Smith (3), Daunte Culpepper (11) and Cade McNown (12).