After CamScanner launched intrusive, unskippable full-screen ads to its free PDF scanner again in April, it now finds itself in the course of one other controversy. This time, it’d imply the top to its life on the Play Retailer altogether. Kaspersky safety researchers discovered proof of malware in a number of variations of the app, revealed between June and July this yr. Whereas our personal checks conclude that the August variations are freed from malware, Google nonetheless determined to tug the plug and banned the app that accrued greater than 100 million downloads from the Play Retailer altogether.
The safety consultants recognized the malware in query as a Trojan Dropper, a software program that is generally discovered pre-installed on Chinese language telephones. It executes recordsdata from an encrypted a part of an app’s APK, working malware that in flip downloads extra modules. In CamScanner’s case, these may show intrusive adverts throughout the cellphone and join customers for paid subscriptions with out their information. Based on the researches, some reviewers on the Play Retailer reported unusual habits after utilizing the app and urged others to not set up it.
We have recognized the unsafe variations of CamScanner and purged them from our personal APK internet hosting platform, APK Mirror. It seems to be like an replace on June 16 first launched malware into the app, with 4 subsequent releases starting from June 24 to July 25 retaining it. A brand new model revealed on July 30 lastly removed the malware, and the 4 releases following it have not launched it once more.
- Might 22, 2019: 184.108.40.20690522 – secure
- June 6, 2019: 220.127.116.1190611 – secure
- June 14, 2019: 18.104.22.16890614 – secure
- June 16, 2019: 22.214.171.12490616 – unsafe
- June 24, 2019: 126.96.36.19990624 – unsafe
- July 10, 2019: 188.8.131.5290710 – unsafe
- July 23, 2019: 184.108.40.20690723 – unsafe
- July 25, 2019: 220.127.116.1190725 – unsafe
- July 30, 2019: 18.104.22.16890730 – secure
- August 8, 2019: 22.214.171.12490809 – secure
- August 14, 2019: 126.96.36.19990814 – secure
- August 16, 2019: 188.8.131.5290816 – secure
- August 20, 2019: 184.108.40.20690820 – secure
If you happen to’re nonetheless inclined to make use of the app regardless of every part, the APKs marked secure above are all obtainable on APK Mirror, together with the newest August 20 model. Google has but to launch a press release if it is permitting the app again into its distribution platform regardless of it violating Play Retailer insurance policies.